On this special day of International Women’s Day, I would like to share with you all a recipe that is quite especial to me.
Coffee-Walnut Cake with Coffee Ganache Frosting… This recipe is all that anyone can ever want. It has the subtle taste of coffee, extraordinary crunch of walnuts and a punch of flavourful coffee ganache frosting.
I like to have a piece of this special cake with a cup of hot and strong coffee in the balcony on my wooden swing. And the peace that I feel is just indescribable. I feel positive and my mind reaches a level where I can sit without thinking or worrying about anything…
It’s just glorious and I really hope that you will also enjoy it the way I do.
Here’s the recipe…
Self-Raising Flour: 150g
Butter, softened: 125g
Light Brown Sugar: 125g
Walnuts, toasted and chopped: 40g
Strong Coffee: 100ml
· Instant Coffee Powder: 20g (I used Nescafe)
· Warm Water/Milk: 180ml (I used water)
Coffee Ganache Frosting:
Chocolate-Walnut Ganache: 200g (click here for recipe.)
· Double Cream: 2 Cups
Walnut Halves: 8
Chocolate or coffee sticks: 8 (I used Cappuccino Sticks)
Butter Paper Stripes: 8-9
Cocoa Powder / Drinking Chocolate: 2 tbsp
1. Pre-heat oven at 180°and line the baking tin.
2. Cream butter and sugar till pale, light and fluffy.
3. Add egg one by one while beating.
4. Add sifted flour in 4 batches and beat on low speed.
5. Add 3/4th of the coffee liquid and beat till well incorporated.
6. Fold in the walnuts.
7. Put the mixture in the lined baking tin.
8. Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and the inserted stick comes out clean.
9. Keep on a wire rack and let it cool.
-Coffee Ganache Frosting:
1. Beat double cream until it becomes fluffy and forms soft peaks.
2. Add half Chocolate-Coffee Ganache and beat till nicely incorporated.
3. Add the rest of the ganache and beat again.
1. Divide the cake in two equal layers (I used a thread for dividing.)
2. Take the left 1/4th coffee liquid and dissolve 2 tsp sugar in it.
3. Soak both the layers of cake in this sweet coffee liquid with the help of a pastry brush.
4. Add 1-2 tbsp of Coffee Ganache Frosting and do crumb-coating of both the layers and refrigerate separately.
5. Take out the first layer and cover the top portion with a neat and generous layer of frosting. Keep in the fridge again.
6. Remove the first frosted layer and keep the second layer upside down on it and cover nicely with the frosting.
7. Use a palette knife to make the surface smooth.
1. Put the walnuts and the sticks as shown below.
2. Arrange the butter paper stripes in any way you want and sprinkle cocoa powder/drinking chocolate evenly with a strainer.
1. If using milk for preparing the coffee add 10 gm extra instant coffee powder.
2. Keeping the frosting-coated cake layers in fridge ensures stability of the coat. It makes the second coat mess-free.