What better way to re-live the memories of childhood and youth, than strawberry shortcake…
Strawberry shortcake basically consists of sliced strawberries that have been infused with sugar and whipped cream served over a cake or biscuit. I prefer strawberry shortcake made with a biscuit.
We love to eat strawberry short cakes during the summer months.
Here’s the recipe…
All purpose flour: 1 cup
Baking powder: ½tbsp
Sugar: 1½ tbsp
Fresh cream: ¼ cup + 1 tbsp
Strawberries: 2 cups
Sugar: 2 tbsp
Whipping cream: 1 cup
1. Wash the berries in cold water and drain well.
2. Chop ½of the berries finely and the rest ½ into bite sized cubes.
3. Mash the finely chopped berries and mix them with the bite sized ones in a bowl.
4. Add sugar to this and mix well.
5. Keep them for 1 hour in room temperature.
6. Whip the cream in a bowl with 1 tbsp sugar, till soft peaks form and keep in the fridge.
1. Preheat the oven to 210O C.
2. In a bowl take flour, baking powder and sugar and mix them.
3. Add butter to the mixture and mix with your finger tips until the mixture gets a coarse texture (somewhat like bread crumbs). There will be some pea-sized chunks of butter left in the mixture.
4. Make a well in the center of the mixture and add cream to it.
5. Stir in the cream with a fork just until the mixture becomes moist. (The dough will not hold together nicely at this stage).
6. Keep the dough cling-wrapped in the fridge for a minute or two.
7. Keep the dough on a lightly floured surface.
8. Knead it only for 2-3 times, until it holds together.
9. Gently pat the dough and cut into biscuits with a round cutter.
10. Transfer to the oven tray and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
11. Remove from the oven and split each biscuit in two horizontal halves with serrate knife.
12. Lightly butter the halves and keep in a wire rack as they are ready to be filled.
1. Take 1-2 tbsp of strawberry mixture (according to the size of biscuits) and spread it on the bottom half of the biscuit.
2. Take 1 tbsp of cream and put a dollop of cream on the strawberry mixture.
3. Keep the top half of the biscuit on the cream and press lightly, so as to spread the cream a bit.
4. Top with 2-3 bite sized strawberries from mixture and a bit of cream.
5. Repeat for other biscuits.
1. The strawberry mixture and cream can be served separately in small bowls , so that everyone can add them according to their taste.
2. I have kept the biscuits thin because my family loves the overpowering taste of the strawberry mixture. You can make them thick and big.
3. You try these scones/biscuits with sugar infused pineapple as well (same as strawberry).
This post was added to Easy to Cook Meals blog. Please join us in Cunning Ladies’ Friday Party.