Hello all! As Easter is around the corner everyone is busy with the preps. This year I thought of making a new Easter traditional recipe along with Easter Eggs.
Koulourakia are a traditional Greek dessert made for Easter. They have a sweet delicate flavor with a hint of vanilla. Koulourakia are well known for their sprinkle of sesame seeds and distinctive ring shape. In fact, the word is the diminutive form for a ring-shaped loaf or lifebelt. For more read here.
This cookies are made in 3 patent shapes
- Snake Shape (S shape)
- Round/Spiral/Ring shape
I loved the Braid one twisted in a circle.So I started to make it but it was taking some time so I made 3 of them and the rest the round ones (they were quite easy and less time-consuming). If you want you can make the other shapes or try all with the same dough. Its a lot of fun! And you’ll be spell-bound by the delicate taste of these beautiful cookies.
Another Snap 🙂
Here’s the recipe…
Makes 20 medium-sized cookies
- Butter: 125 g
- Caster Sugar: 110 g
- Egg Yolk : 1 (keep the egg white for brushing)
- Self Raising Flour: 260 g
- Vanilla Essence: 1/2 tsp
- Lemon Juice: 1+1/2 tbsp
- Lemon Rind: 1 tbsp
- Sesame Seeds: 1 tbsp
- Cream butter and sugar pale and fluffy.
- Add in the egg, vanilla essence and lemon juice and beat till completely incorporated.
- Add the sifted flour in 4 batches while mixing continuously.
- Fold in the lemon rind.
- Knead to make a smooth dough.
- Cling-wrap and pop in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180°C and line the cookie tray.
- Divide the dough into 20 equal portions and roll them into balls.
- Now, roll the balls in long logs and give them the desired shape. I made spirals.
- Put them on the cookie tray. Brush them with egg white and sprinkle sesame seeds on them.
- Bake for about 15 minutes and then let the cookies sit on the tray for 5-8 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack.
- If you find it hard to roll the dough balls into logs, add 1/4 tsp milk per ball and knead lightly before making logs.
- The dough can be kept for over a week in fridge.
- Do not bake the cookies for more than 15 minutes.